Eric graduated today! After an early morning communion service (with a wink, nod, Heather sing the solo suprise), we sat through a three hour cloudy commencement before enjoying a late Mexican lunch with Eric's dad and his fiance. Although we were practically falling asleep with our eyes open at the table, we managed to finish moving Eric out of his room and run some errands. This evening, we actually enjoyed a quiet dinner of steamed artichokes without the pressure to rush off to 1,001 classes, meetings, rehearsals, concerts, art shows, plays, dances and parties. We were definitely blessed by an empty apartment, little traffic outside our open windows and the unusual lack of church bell rings from the Catholic church across the street.
It's been a strange weekend, celebrating senior week activities with Eric while trying to figure how to successfully fill a non-refundable seat on a plane to Uganda this coming Monday to join Eric's mission team. Surprisingly, I had a ton of wide open doors from my parents, the church, friends, etc. until I found out an hour before I got my Hep A booster that the ticket had actually already been refunded. :-(
There were some tears and disappointed prayers, but Eric started to lift my spirits when I overheard him say that it was love at first site (four years ago even though we've only been dating for a year!). Then Mark Miller, my favorite pianist, director and composer, asked me to ad lib for the mixed-choir piece in front of four hundred people at Baccualaurate. This has been a dream of mine, just to ad lib, and I've never done it in front of an audience before. TOO much fun!! And I got to do it again this morning at the communion service!
So it's been a bumpy ride this week with too little sleep and too much emotion, however, all is well. Eric'll leave for Uganda in two days, and I'll find ways to entertain myself while I leisurely pack and try not to visualize the orphans that I wish were in my arms.
North Carolina friends-- I'm trying to figure out if Eric and I can come visit Wake Forest/Youngsville in early June... will you be around???
1 comment:
We are around until the 15th of June. What dates are you thinking?
Amie
Post a Comment