This past year, I decided to calm down and enjoy people. I purposely only worked enough for us to pay the bills and I started breaking my habit of rushing out the door. Since then, Eric and I have have built better friendships and learned more about each other. Instead of feeling criticized as people saw my weaknesses, I felt more encouraged and loved because I feel like certain people know me better, are more honest and truly love me.
So now that I have jobs set up for next year, working a normal 40 hour week, my initial reaction was that I need to fill up the extra time with commitments. I certainly wouldn't want to be home alone would I? Then I spoke to a theatre professor at Drew who encouraged me to use my time creatively. Without the constant burden of school assignments and deadlines over my head, I can do whatever I want with my time.
So then what does a person who enjoys dabbling in a variety of creative endeavors do? Ideally I want to find a hobby that functions as a creative outlet, glorifies God and quite honestly, that I can excel in. I wouldn't say I idolize certain people in the sense of putting them above God, but I definitely look up to a variety of people who are talented and successful musicians, photographers, playwrights, writers and parents.
Where do I even start? Probably by just doing what I love. Even though it's hot and our little apartment doesn't have air-conditioning, when everyone else is at work, I probably just need to start doing what I love to do rather than spending seven hours a day browsing the internet. I want to be a producer rather than just a consumer. Please understand these are my pipe dreams: I want to be a producer of harmonies and lyrics, of beautiful photographs, of unique perspectives and story lines, of passion and joy. I want to make people think and laugh and love. While a part of me desires to be successful, accomplished and honored, it is probably more likely that I will die in obscurity as most artists do (E and I have had this conversation before about artists). And perhaps that is fine if I have lived a life of love.
But when no one is around to love, rather than become depressed that I'm alone, I will try to use my time productively in the creative sense. Not sure which creative route I'll take yet, maybe all of them and we'll see what happens. Goal: To enjoy the joys of life offered by God.
No comments:
Post a Comment