Summary: Seventeen years ago, Grandpa Parrish died of an unexpected heart attack the day after Thanksgiving. This year, we were wondering whether Gramps Wood would also die on that day. With Parkinson's, a few strokes and liver failure, he was going down hill quickly and thus, I returned from France on Nov. 19th. After everyone returned to their New England jobs and schools, I stayed behind with Grandma for a month. We visited Gramps in the nursing home every day, bringing him food requests which included scallops, oyster stew, hot and sour soup and orange soda. On December 14th, I returned to my parents' home in NH to celebrate Christmas.
Two days ago, Grandma called to say Gramps was unresponsive but breathing deeply. Again, I was overwhelmed with the understanding of why I have faced so many challenges in the past two years and have cried oceans over the desire to follow God's will while questioning my winding path. With ties as far back as being placed teaching high school special ed in the fall of 2006 with three jobs since then, I couldn't have orchestrated the opportunity to spend a month with my grandparents ten days before Gramps died.
Gramps died this morning at 8:16am. On Christmas Eve.
We'll all be back in Meadville at the end of the week for the funeral. Since I don't have to be back in school until January 24th, we'll see where I settle down for the month.
I praise God for the opportunity not only to see Gramps again, but to spend a month with them. May I remember how God worked in this situation the next time I doubt His goodness and plan for my life.
1 comment:
Heather,
I'm so sorry to hear about your Gramps. Please let your family know that we will be praying for you all as Christmas is bittersweet this year (especially for your Grandma).
I'm glad you were there to spend time with him and that you are not facing this news alone in France. Merry Christmas!
Amie
Post a Comment