1. Sorry for not updating in forever.
2. This summer has been amazing. Co-deaning HOPE Camp is my dream job-- leading high-risk kids on hikes, through Bible studies, on natural waterslides at a state park and through various other camp activities. Mr. Tim's a great co-dean and we are generally on the same page about a lot of decisions concerning scheduling and disciplining. Believe it or not, we have not had a single fist fight this whole summer! I don't want to speak too soon because we've got three intense weeks ahead, but that's an impressive record for the previous five weeks. So many memories to tuck away including a frog hunt with ten-year olds dressed in watershoes and ponchos, carrying flashlights as they searched under every leaf, a impromtu campfire with the girls where they saw a shooting star, intense conversations about the kids' home lives, more intense sleepless nights due to campers' nightmares, smiles and hugs from familiar kids and making friends with new campers. One of my favorite moments of the week is after I song lead on Monday morning when I drive up to the cabins and the kids who've just arrived come greet me at the car with grins and hugs. WHY ISN'T THIS A FULL-TIME JOB?! What should I do with this passion for these kids, for teaching and demonstrating (or at least doing my best to demonstrate) God's love for them? What's next, God?
3. I finally got to see Eric again after seven weeks. That was a long time to be apart and I had a great time meeting his hometown friends and helping teach the rumba to his fellow summer actors for Songs for a New World. Only three more weeks before we head off to Uganda... May God speak to each of us on the team teaching us how to serve and to love like Christ. If I must leave HOPE Camp, I am thankful that I have the opportunity to go to Africa three days later.
4. I am officially *cough* twenty-four. Why is it some ages seem young, but others seem old? Thirty-four = totally young. ;-) Twenty-four = why isn't that girl married?! Just kidding (not really). My mind can change on a dime, "I want to be married" to "There's no way I'm ready to be a wife. I can barely stay in the same state for four months..." Regardless, I try to lift up my life to God daily and remember He's got a better plan than I do.
5. I'm also officially jealous of the Sexton family. It's not the covetness jealousy, but rather the "Wow, they just continue to add beautiful additions to their diverse family and I hope I have a similar opportunity some day (soon, please God)." Mom wants an Asian grand-daughter. I'll try to work on that for her. :-)
6. If you have a chance, please pray for our HOPE campers. If you want more details, I would love to tell you more about these beautiful kids. Just a couple of the common experiences these kids have is witnessing street fights on their streets and drug use and abuse in their homes. God loves these children immensely and their prayers are often desperate ones for their loved ones.
1 comment:
YEAH!!! I was afraid you were never coming back. And I was going to be hugely disappointed to not hear about your trip to Africa and all the cool camp stories. This blog is all about me, Cammie and don't you forget it! ;-)
Sing with me...
This blog is my blog
This blog is your blog
From the NC Piedmont to the uh,
I can't think of somewhere that rhymes with blog. shrug.
Love you!!
Post a Comment