In less than three days, I'll be on a flight headed to Kampala, Uganda with six friends from Drew. We're off to build a house for the Watoto orphanage and I'm thrilled about the team going and our destination. This is the same orphanage that I seriously considered commiting 10 years to as a house mother when I was 20. I can't wait to touch African land, to see the people, especially the children and to help as much as possible during the two weeks we'll be there. Afterwards, I have a week before I start classes again, begin two jobs as a youth group leader and a manager at a coffeehouse and maintain my relationship with Eric. Still can't complain when my peers have kids and full-time jobs to juggle. In other news, Grandma's moving to New Hampshire this week so now my mom's side of the family has all transitioned to New England from western PA even though one uncle and aunt are moving to Dubai (wow).
Oh, and camp went well. Really well. Mr. Tim and the rest of HOPE staff were great to work with. I miss our kids already. Especially the six-year old girl who called me, "Miss Heathery!" I don't miss the emotional strain of being responsible for teenage drug dealers and gang members. I'm absolutely glad they were able to come to camp, more glad that they behaved and so thankful for the male staff who held their own. But I was a little stressed...
God worked in amazing ways this summer. We witnessed Him change hearts and attitudes of hardened young people. I was blessed to hold children as they cried, to pray with them, to teach and encourage them. It's my dream job. That's all I want to say about that now.
1 comment:
Lisa and I continue to pray for you as you travel! I'll also see to it that West Newton First UMC prays for you and your team this Sunday! I'll make sure the pastor includes it in the joys and concerns! ;)
Post a Comment