Saturday, August 9, 2008
Child of Privilege
At 6AM tomorrow morning, we'll be on a flight to Washington DC, Rome, Ethiopia and finally Kampala, Uganda. As I was taking a shower this morning thinking about what to pack, I wondered at what I would see in the next two weeks, how I might consider my privileged American lifestyle after being in Africa. Of course, my stereotypes of Africa include starving toddlers with bloated bellies and flies in their eyes. What will I actually see? And even if I don't see those hungry children, that doesn't mean that they aren't there somewhere, right? Am I ridiculous to pack so many clothes when the people I meet might have much less? Isn't more ridiculous that I still have a lot more clothes waiting for my return? And I'm sure there are other opportunities that I am blessed to take for granted including daily meals (and snacks) and safe places to sleep. Recognizing that I am a child of privilege, what is my responsibility regarding the rest of the world? Flying off with prayer... Thank you, again, for your prayers and financial support!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Praying for you! Have an awesome, inspiring, challenging, love-filled, God-glorifying time.
Post a Comment