Monday, November 3, 2008

Called to what?

This past weekend, I organized a youth lock-in at the church where I'm the new youth director. It was amazing to have the opportunity to lead games, discussions and worship with the intention of challenging the 7th-college freshmen age youth to become willing to let God transform their lives rather than to become conformed to the world.
Granted, I felt challenged by Professor Sweet's teaching that we should be culturally relevantly while teaching Christian truths. But throughout the night while I was busy, I had a sense of peace. I could laugh with the youth and appreciate their comments about distractions that keep them from God. After about five hours of sleep, I woke up early and appreciated the quiet time making breakfast before I woke up the kids with "The Circle of Life" from the Lion King. It was so strange that I was that content with such a lack of sleep. It probably brought back my second nature of deaning HOPE Camp but this time, behavior issues were non-existent. Not that I necessarily called to work with youth in the second richest county in NJ for the rest of my life, but ...

Eric and I have often discussed the difference between physical and spiritual needs. Isn't it interesting that African churches are often bursting with people desperately dependent upon God who are so thankful for the meager blessings in their life (meager only by our standards) yet in all of our wealth, we are often spiritually independent from God going through the motions of religious ritual. Wow, I suddenly just realized what an amazing opportunity I have to encourage spiritual growth in Summit while offering aid for physical needs from here to the places that need them. Hm. I just can't forget the great needs in either place. Oh, gosh. God is really working on this heart and mind of mine. See how the global community affects just this one little life of mine-- wanting to bless people here and there. And honestly feeling called to it. Wow. God's amazing.

No comments: