Monday, November 3, 2008

Great Men

I have some pretty great men in my life. It's alright to brag about other people, right?

As Dad gets closer to retirement from his self-made chiropractic practice, his priorities are changing and he's looking for ways to help others around the world. He did some research and learned about a chiropractor in South America who goes between orphanages to give the children chiropractic care and now he's raising money for their needs. So cool!

Eric surprises me with his willingness to not only listen to my dreams ("What if I'm called to Africa? To adopt? To be a pastor? To...") but also to consider them and their possible implications in his life and he's still here! I can't believe the conversations we've had and his sensitivity (Arnold, don't you dare give him a hard time about it!). I'm pretty impressed by Eric and it's funny to think that four years ago when we were friends getting into as much mischievous as possible, I would have never guessed we would be in this situation.

Mr. Keith and Mr. Tim still call me when they're hanging out with HOPE campers so I can keep in touch with them. I appreciate them remembering me and letting me continue to be part of the HOPE family regardless of the fact I'm a state away.

My male seminary comrades are always good for conversations about social justice from a Christian perspective and for simple helps when needed.

I'm glad to know I can call Erik to get updates about his life as a new young pastor and his seminary advice. Luis is great for a giant hug and coffee conversations about everything. Pete inspires me with his faith journey and growth over the past five years. Arnold has a similar heart for the poor in Africa and I enjoy our opportunities to encourage each other. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone but I wanted to share my thankfulness for these men. Sorry I don't have pictures.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the shout-out. But you did forget to mention one thing: you're lucky to have a friend named Erik who doesn't mind that you occasionally dial the wrong Eric/Erik and have to hang up on him instead of talk.