Thursday, April 16, 2009

Hoping to become wise

Recently, I've been in an uber-critical mood. I've been mentally poking holes through people's comments and noting unfairnesses. Two problems though: it causes a bit of anxiety when I keep these thoughts from reaching those who they are intended for. Granted, at least I have time to think out arguments, but I don't like this feeling of awareness. It's like going to Uganda-- to see the effects of poverty up close and in my arms, the growing awareness feels uncomfortable, like swallowing a pine branch. Yet, at the same time, you know it's important. But there's something else. There's the challenge to do something about it.

So at the moment, I need to discern between what's more important for me to do something about-- I can probably ignore the downstairs resident who thinks my Chinese roommate's attempts to feed the wildlife on the fire escape is resulting in fruit flies in their kitchen (but not in ours...). There are other things that I should communicate about. I really hope all these experiences help me become the wise person I hope I grow into, one who knows how to respond in the moment rather than dwelling upon it for 24 hours and realizing what I should have said as I lay in bed waiting for sleep.

No comments: