- living within walking distance of a grocery store and the library
- not living within hearing distance of a train or church bells
- being able to see friends often (not all friends, but some great ones)
- free internet thanks to generous neighbors
- a level bed (I kept complaining about it when I was sick until thanks to my parents and Eric, they figured out how to help... you have no idea how a crooked bed can mess up your back!)
- his/her closets
- good water pressure
- good flavored water from the sink
- a quiet and safe suburban neighborhood
Things we're looking forward to someday acquiring:
- a guest bedroom
- more kitchen counter space
- air-conditioning (more for E since he's used to it)
- a bigger bed
As I write this, I'm thinking about you Kenny and the lifestyle you've chosen living in a slum. I never wanted to be the suburban wife, never wanted to be comfortable in American culture. I can definitely say I'm not comfortable in the culture around me, but Sherri reminds me not to be sucked into the "bigger is better" mentality that surrounds us. How difficult that is when some of the people we love show that mindset.
I certainly married the man who said he'd be willing to move to Uganda with me but here we are making our home in one of the wealthiest states in the US. As the dean taught me, it's just a phase. We'll see what future phases hold.
1 comment:
It's not everyday I get a blog post addressed to me!
I appreciate your thankfulness with the blessings you have. And it's important to see them in the midst of a culture that tells you that they aren't enough, that you're missing out, that there are better things.
But I'd also say... as much as our culture is wrong in being about 'bigger is better', the Kingdom is not about 'simpler is better'. It's not a competition to see who can live the most simply/holy/intense/(fill in the blank).
It is a challenge to find ways to live faithfully in the context and the season we find ourselves in.
But even more than that I think it's an invitation to accept the love and blessings fo God. To know that we are just sinners in need of mercy, and that God gives us all as gift. We can just accept with gratitude. God loves us regardless of how simple/intense/holy/etc we are.
Miss you friend. Will I get to see you when I'm in the US this time?
Post a Comment