Friday, April 4, 2008

Laying it all down again

Do you ever get the burning desire to be better than you are? Not necessarily to get better grades or to impress people, but rather to be able to help them more? To be able to provide wise responses or react in love? To feel confident and effective reaching out to others?

I heard a lecturer a couple days ago who had an impression on me. Describing her church's outreach to drug abusers and the homeless, she said that the more they try to do, they realize there's even more to do. For example, say you grab three dollars on your way out the door in order to give the first one to the homeless man on the corner, the second to the homeless person who sees your generosity and the third for the next person who has heard of your generosity. Now you're out of dollars and feeling pretty good about having just helped three people... but then we stop. There's more money at home, but we've reached our limit of generosity for the day. And we had prepared ourselves to stop at that point. Why do we do that?

Let's mix this lecture with another I heard by Dr. Arariajah who preached about the foolishness of Christianity. A lot of people may try to argue this with me, but I think the Scriptures call us to be foolish. Foolish by worldly standards.

Thus, I've decided I'm an aspiring fool for Christ. I want to have the courage to follow God wherever God leads me. I want to trust God and to experience the peace that passeth understanding. I want to glorify God with my life, not just in the future but day to day. I think I've been slacking in that recently and it disappoints me most when I see its effects upon my relationships... Not just in my close relationships with friends who may need encouragement or accountability, but also with all the people in my midst, and my own relationship with God...

One more thing. In the rock opera !HERO, the Jesus character played by Michael Tait sings that he's looking for "men who look beyond their noses." He wants followers who are selfless. Another aspiration of mine...

I guess it's time to be transformed, huh? Time to lay it all down again...

1 comment:

Sarrilly said...

hi heather! i found you! i dont update very much on here but i love reading everyone else's blogs...

i love that title- aspiring fool for Christ. good stuff, girl! :)