Sunday, January 11, 2009

Self-control isn't easy

So I've been pretty sick since Wednesday night. Initial inquiries from parents and the internet suggested it should have taken 2 days to work itself out. As soon as I realized that it wasn't getting better in 2 days, I learned that the Health Services on campus was closed for the weekend (!?!?). Internally weighing the co-pay price at the hospital compared to that at Health Services on Monday, I decided to try to wait it out... Last night was the worst when I woke up with cramps every hour or two. The good news: I survived two full days of class including a field trip to Brooklyn last week; Eric's been an amazing help by going grocery shopping for "sick food" and making meals (he got a good laugh joining the other men at the grocery store who were obviously sent there by their wives); I managed to make it to church to teach Sunday School (I'm not contagious) and I've only got 15 hours before Health Services opens.

Weird part- I recognize that diagnosing one's self using the internet is not the best idea but we thought we could come up with some pretty good remedies. Unfortunately, one site says, "Eat bananas and carrots for potassium," while another says, "Avoid fresh fruits and vegetables." When I was told to eat toast, I ate a toasted everything bagel and then a whole wheat pita bread for two different meals. Later, I found a site that said eat white bread rather than grains...

Regardless, it's my fourth day without coffee, patiently waiting to get better while shrimp dip, salsa and Pepsi all sit at an arm's reach away in the fridge and I have to reluctantly eat chicken noodle soup, yogurt, bananas, Saltines and Gatorade. I'm not sure how long it'll be before my patience and self-control run out...

No comments: