I've worked with and held my own with the Lakota Native Americans in South Dakota, a teenage girls' group in a wealthy New Jersey town and a group of hospital chaplain interns of which I was the youngest by fifteen years. I've trekked into NYC weekly to work with the chaplain at the Church Center for the UN, had an article published in a national magazine and sang on a produced CD while becoming a certified candidate for ordination. I've gotten married and successfully fluffed the dress of my best friend as her maid of honor. Eric and I have moved into our first apartment, split up the chore list, made a budget and thus far have remained within budget. I've recently started my first retail position as a sales associate at a children's retail store. And I'm about to start my final year at Drew Theological School.
I'm in the process of learning that being is more important than doing (though even noting my accomplishments above seems to contradict that statement...), that my opinions are valid and worthy of being shared and that the criticism of others doesn't have to weigh me down. I feel that Drew has successfully made me a critical thinker regarding theology. This process has led to endless difficult conversations with Eric about different perspectives of God and faith and he has patiently husband withstood my struggles to articulate what I've been learning. I've just recently reached the place where I can read theological perspectives that I disagree with while being able to appreciate the author's intentions. Thankfully Eric and I have found a church where we both feel comfortable with the theology, music and church family. Since neither one of us is working there, we can appreciate the spiritual food without being on the spot to lead other sheep.
I'm obsessed with reading blogs about Christian missionary families. While I somewhat enjoy dreaming about the future wishing it were here, I'm reading Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow and I think she would remind me to enjoy the moment. Though I dreamt about our first child a couple nights ago... I dreamt that I thought he was brilliant and then I forgot his name...
One of my best friends had twins this spring and her seventeen month old son was our ring bearer. She is a constant reminder to me that things will work out and that I don't need to be so worried about life.
My brother did an internship in CA this spring, flew to the east coast for my wedding and then was offered a job at the brewery where he was working. On Valentine's Day weekend, my sister got engaged to another med student from CA. My parents and I are wondering how they both are ending up on the other side of the US.
This summer Eric's aunt and uncle's house caught on fire and thankfully they and their dogs are fine although the house had a lot of damage.
As far as I can remember, those were the highlights of the year. Who knows what next year will bring? May it be a year of love, joy and peace not only in my household and family but around the world.
P.S. I heard a prayer this year that has stuck with me, "Lord, please be with all those who haven't been prayed for today." May that also be true.
No comments:
Post a Comment