Last year, Eric started practicing the Sabbath and would rest one day a week-- no obligations to do work or errands. While he relaxed, I wrote papers, read books, etc. It wasn't until last week that he convinced me to try it out. The day beforehand, I had felt anxious about how much work I needed to do during those 24 hours and Eric kindly reminded me, "That's why you need to prepare for Sabbath, get work done earlier." I resolutely decided that even though I hadn't prepared effectively, I would not do any work last Saturday. It turned out to be a beautiful day with my husband and I remember thinking, "I actually get to relax for 24 hours!!" And I've been looking forward to it all week. Last night I even skipped a music festival so I could accomplish a couple assignments and enjoy a guilt-free Sabbath today.
Now this is only my second Sabbath but I've noticed myself having a different attitude on these days. Instead of feeling burdened by to do lists, I feel flexible and calm. This morning, Eric woke up early and we watched the rain and ate waffles before church instead of rushing out the door. When Pete and Kristin stopped by today to pick up a couple things, we were able to join them for lunch rather than waving good-bye.
To be honest, I'm reminded of the Sunday lunches at my grandparents' house when I was a high-schooler. We'd gather after church, help prepare lunch, eat together, try to think of ways to get out of the conversation by pleading a bathroom break with the magazine rack, then watch TV, play computer games or nap for a couple hours. On the way home, Dad would remind us about how fortunate we are to spend time with our grandparents. He was right.
I'm thankful for the opportunity to enjoy relationships and relaxation on these Sabbaths, and throughout the week but especially on the Sabbath. My gracious God is good.
No comments:
Post a Comment