Monday, May 3, 2010

Two years

Two years ago, I was invited to an IVCF camping trip. We had a great time playing on the beach, singing and answering awkward questions that Arnold proposed, "What would be your dream wedding?" and "Describe your perfect mate." On the afternoon of May 3, 2008, the group gathered around a picnic table on the beach and Eric pulled out a piece of paper and pencil. He started playing a childhood artistic game with me and the others got bored and wandered off. I patiently continued playing wondering about whether Eric shared my affection. Finally, he stopped playing and asked me out. Once I was clear that he was talking about me and not any other girl, I agreed and we excitedly jumped up from the table to join the others who were playing a few hundred feet away. I stopped him before we got within hearing distance and quickly said, "Look, you just have to know. I've never been kissed. I'm okay with that and everything but I think you should know. We don't need to rush it, but you just need to know." Eric's perfect response was, "How is that possible?"

A week later, I cryptically wrote in the blog: "let's just say, I'm not looking naively into the abyss of the future with an unreciprocated relationship [are you reading into that yet, Amie?]. Thankfully, I have been able to maintain and build new friendships since then and from the perspective of this plateau, I'm thankful for my experiences."
And two years later, we're twenty-six days away from our wedding!

We've been through sickness and health, traveled to Uganda together, sang a duet at Eric's dad's wedding, supported each other through transitions and most importantly, enjoyed as many moments together as possible. We're just as happy singing in concerts with our favorite musicians (Mark Miller and Mark Karris) as we are playing Trouble in our PJs. We can gang sock wrestle with the most athletic seminarians (though not necessarily win!) and enjoy the solitude of a lazy Sunday afternoon. We listen to each other long enough to understand each other's intentions rather than make assumptions. We take turns cooking dinner and agree to split the chores in order to have equal time to relax together. We hug daily and say, "I love you," every time we leave each other. We say, "I love you," at other times too. We genuinely enjoy being with each other. We're looking forward to living in one home.

I love Eric Valosin. He has legitimately changed my life by listening to me patiently, encouraging me, being my friend and companion and by dreaming dreams with me. Thank you, handsome man. I'm looking forward to being your wife.

No comments: