Monday, June 29, 2009

Nervous Smile

This is a huge deal. My "crazy professor" pulled past this security booth on to Leonard Crow Dog's property essentially asking people to "take me to your leader" and he, his college-aged daughter and I ended up meeting Chief Leonard Crow Dog, a highly respected Lakota medicine man who was a leader in the American Indian Movement (AIM) when they took over the Bureau of Indian Affairs governmental building in D.C. and who apparently is still being watched by the FBI for being a radical Native. We shook hands with him and listened to him calmly chew out Whites for their annihilation of Native Americans and their culture. Somehow the one-sided conversation turned and he introduced us to one of his eighteen children and invited us to explore the ceremonial grounds including touching and praying at the Sun Dance tree.

I also attended my first sweat ceremony on Saturday with my professor and his daughter. Very cool experience and I'm looking forward to the next one.

Take away from Professor Christensen about living in a place where a different religion is practiced: "Your ability to spiritually discern is important because it will help you protect yourself [from the possibility evil spirits, etc.]" Good reminder as I try to avoid being like traditional missionaries who end up converting people to European lifestyles.

No comments: