Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Grumpy McGrump Grump

Grumpy girl here. You know that feeling when you're really excited to do something for someone else and you think it's important so you plan it out for a couple days, praying about it... then as you're about to take the leap, you find out that amazon won't ship all books to France, including the one for someone else and another good one for yourself... Hmph. Guess I need to go back to the praying board on this one. For those of you who have easy access to a Christian library (or your own), enjoy it! It's strange and perhaps useless to have so many good books at home on my shelf when I'm across an ocean with only a few English books here. Then again, some people don't have any books or the ability to read. I should be thankful.

Thanks, Kenny, for your suggestions about good books to read. I've been checking them out on the amazon that failed me. And yes, Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger is good. I enjoyed Charles Swindoll's Improve Your Serve this summer but was unable to finish it because time ran out. Really appreciated its focus upon a humble servant's attitude.

Returning to the topic of thankfulness, let me share a quick story from this summer from HOPE camp. One Thursday evening, our group of campers and counselors gathered at the front door of the chapel after a long day and Mr. Keith said, "Are there any problems that we need to address before we go in to worship God? Are we at peace?" No one mentioned any problems, but as we began entering the chapel, I leaned over to another counselor and honestly said, "I don't feel at peace with the kids but I don't know how to address it." Once we sat down together in the front pews, Mr. Keith asked us what we were thankful for. I can't remember why I was so frustrated, but for a few minutes, I actually couldn't think of things I was thankful for. Yet as the campers and other counselors began sharing what they were thankful, I realized that of course there are a lot of things to be thankful for: daily food and rest, family, friends, faith, shelter, safety, God's grace and forgiveness, education, music, health, etc (please don't judge this as a priority list). These thoughts calmed my heart and prepared me for worship that evening. Since then, I have often begun listing things for which I am thankful and it lifts my spirit.

Even though my hoped for books aren't going to be arriving this week, I don't need to be grumpy because there are so many other blessings in life.

No comments: