Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Let It Rain

Last night, I played cards with two Chinese girls sitting on a blanket on the floor of a dorm room, drinking Chinese tea and listening to Chinese music. I was surprised to really enjoy the music that reminded me of the relaxing (cough, cough) "Wait for Me, Love" cd that Miss Nikki used to play during bedtime at HOPE camp '05. As I sipped my tea that had large unfamilar leaves in it and listened to the girls talk in Chinese, I thought, "How lucky I am to be here." Yes, I am indeed in France but living at a girls' dorm for international students. I think that I'm the only American in this dorm, but I've met girls from Mexico, Canada, Morocco, Belgium, England and Estonia.

Speaking of my new Chinese friends, I've already broken one of their expectations of Americans. I surprised them by liking one of their seaweed dishes over rice. In fact, my behavior was called "incredible". It's a little like the reaction the French give me when I ask for more of their smelly cheese. Of course, I don't call it smelly cheese; they do. I think my newly acquired taste for blue cheese arrived just in time.

It's difficult not to brag about living so close to the Alps, but assuming that I won't have the opportunity to do this often, forgive me. Last weekend, I went climbing in the Alps. Who does that?! I went with the father and the thirteen year old son of the family that's welcomed me into their home for respite from the city on weekends. Those who know me from camp know that I'm not good at climbing and I'm scared of heights. Yet I was happily surprised that I climbed higher than my 18ft comfort level threshold. Especially since I was wearing borrowed shoes that were too small and bent my toes at the knuckles-- that was uncomfortable! A little like climbing in China with bound feet, I imagine.

It rained for the first time last night since I arrived in Grenoble. Now rain and thunder are sounds I can sleep to, unlike the dumpster truck, people yelling and cars crashing into poles under my window. I think as soon as I can figure out how to walk to the mountains across the river, I will be able to handle this city a little bit better.

2 comments:

No Heroes Here said...

Super excited you started a blog! Woot! Regular updates are much appreciated ;-). Also glad to hear things are going well!
-Kenny

The Sexton Crew said...

Yeah CAMMIE! I'm so glad you are blogging. I love tracking you and knowing just how to pray for you. btw, KidStuf started a couple of weeks ago. (deep sigh) It's just not the same without you. I think Tim was sick of me leaning over and saying "I miss Heather". =)

Hearing your stories makes you seem closer than you are so keep 'em coming! The crew is doing well and will be glad to hear of your adventures.

We love you.
Amie