Again, two things, the second is more important. Yesterday while working at the Food Pantry I got quite frustrated with old ladies criticizing anyone who would speak to me in English. "She'll never learn if you speak to her in English!" There are two wonderful English ladies there that I am very happy to talk to since speaking English with almost anyone else is slow and strained. At one point, one of the critical ladies asked me if I was scared of her. After an English woman translated, I replied, "Un peu!" She felt bad and tried to smother me with a cheek kiss of apology. You can imagine my annoyance later when an 18 year old boy at the students' youth group last night said, "Speak in French!" (this is after I introduced myself and another person in French and had used my quota of French words for the hour). I leaned over to the Frenchman who has studied in Cambridge and said, "That's the sixth time I've heard that today." He suggested I tell the boy that in French. Thus began my attempt to say this seemingly simple sentence in French with the help of a friendly new acquaintance, "Qu'est le six... sixieme (sp?), sixieme moins (questionable look from the new friend)... sixieme fois que j'ai ecoute la (totally wrong word I think-- I wanted to say that but it means there)... aujourd'hui!" I knew that last word and I think I might have hit the table in exasperation. If I were fluent in French, I would have continued saying, "I thought only old women said that!" but it would have taken too much brain power. It's good that I didn't though. That's not a good way to start a relationship. And the truth is that the poor kid probaly failed English last year or is simply imitating the adults he's seen react towards Americans. It is quite tiring to be an American in France with the attitude and prejudices against me while I deal with my own personal ones. More on that another day.
As for hugs... I brought my Chinese friend, Nannan, to the students' dinner last night at the church. It was her first time to experience the French greeting of two cheek kisses before they know your name. She was surprised at first, enjoyed it the next couple of times, but then dreaded it everytime someone new walked in the door (personally I only appreciate it when it is from an attractive boy or a child...). This experience along with not understanding French at all had her nervously stressed out (welcome to my life). Trying to comfort her, we would hug and laugh occassionally. On my way home though, I was told that the French only hug their spouses and they thought we were strange. My internal reaction: You mean, that it's okay for strangers to kiss me on both cheeks but that no one is going to give me a hug for the next ten months!?!
For those of you at home, PLEASE PREPARE BIG HUGS FOR ME WHEN I RETURN! I'll be looking forward to them for the next nine months. This may be the first reason it would be better to travel with a partner... for a familiar hug... no one is specifically in mind at the moment.
No comments:
Post a Comment