Well I didn't have to feign diarreah because the man leading the discussion about science and life graciously translated parts of the conversation. Now I can save that excuse for the next time...
This weekend I have eaten A LOT. Not really on purpose, but the French usually eat 3 course meals and at the foyer, we all taste each other's food which turns into a feast in itself. Add on top an invitation for dinner that wasn't understood in French so I arrived as plates were placed on the table, ... Oh, I've eaten a lot...
I am happily studying Bonhoeffer's Living Together (thank you, Mr. Derek!).
Goal for today: To teach 30 French youngsters how to play Chat, Chat, Chien (duck, duck, goose translated to cat, cat, dog) and to sing Dieu est trés bon (God is so good). After an hour and a half worship service in French and five hours with the kids, hopefully I'll be able to call Gramps and Grandma where Mom, Uncle John, Uncle Chuck and Aunt Melissa have gathered for the weekend.
I'm desperately trying to maintain self-patience and a good self-image as I attempt to do simple English things in French... Time to get ready for church and buy une baguette before worship (yesterday I bought 2 baguettes because I wasn't sure if 1 baguette was un or une... yet another attempt at self-preservation a.k.a. not humiliating myself by throwing up the flashers that indicate the presence of yet another abnoxious, disrespectful, we'll-pretend-we-hate-you-because-we'll-never-ever-admit-that-we-like-America American).
I hope you all are having a good weekend. If you ever need a positive thought and you are in your homeland, you could be thankful that people speak your language. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment