I survived yesterday and actually had a great evening with the students' group debating ten themes (God's role in our decisions, the necessity for evangelism, why is there misery in the world, etc.) before reading scripture about each topic. I had found verses for each theme that really were challenging, not necessarily answering the questions, but what Jesus said about each. Of course, I was nervous about what the students and the other leader would think especially because it would be difficult for me to explain in French why I chose each verse, but I think it went well.
Also, they accepted my French toast as an authentic American dish, but chose to eat it either by itself or with carrots or with SPAM-like eggs. Not a single person used the jelly I brought (substituted for syrup). I was shocked and laughed internally watching them add carrots to the toast. They also think we should change the name to "American toast". Voilà.
Tonight, I have an unofficial French lesson with Félix to which I'm bringing Heather's homemade salsa (minus a few ingredients with a tight budget) with brochetta instead of nachos which cost about 4 dollars for a little bag. Excited because the planned topic of conversation of our faith will be more interesting than reading children's books aloud. And after that, I have a youth group meeting with the 16-18 year olds for which I've grilled hot dogs and onions to combine with noodles and ketchup for an extremely authentic American dish that I think my babysitter used to make when I was little. Or maybe my brother Jamie and I invented it... along with cappuchino before Starbucks stole my idea...
Hopefully a nap and a snack will carry me until dinner without tears because when I described what happened to Félix last night, he said nervously, "Please don't do that with me." I'm really going to try not to get upset. That may be the biggest reason I'm bringing food to his place...
No comments:
Post a Comment