Thursday, October 11, 2007

Feigning Diarreah

Have I ever mentioned Allison? Allison's this great old English woman who's taken me under her wing to secretly feed me English books and newspapers. One of my favorite things about her is that when French people at the food pantry tell her for the umpteenth time to stop talking to me in English, I'm sure her response in French is along the lines of "Stop your fussing and fuffin' around. I'm explaining important things to her and she won't understand anything if no one tells her in English..." Each person nods slightly and walks away as she continues her story to me in English. She is the only person I've met so far willing to stand up to the French resistance against anyone speaking English to Heather Elizabeth. (The French can't say Heather, so only a select few are allowed if they use an American accent. Everyone else calls me, "Aleesabette".)

Otherwise, things are fine. I need to buy a train ticket to Lyon for next weekend and prepare for the student's group tonight. I'm in charge of opening the doors, starting the meal (aka, say a prayer), lead two songs and play a game before a man is coming to lead a discussion about science and life (for which if there is anyway I can feign diarreah and hide in the bathroom reading an English novel, I will), then finally I'm supposed finish with a prayer. Do you think that's rude to excuse myself for the discussion? It'll be an hour and a half long in a foreign language... I think not... :-)

Oh, and one of my two French friends bought me peanut butter yesterday. And he let me call home. It was like Christmas! And for dinner tonight, I'll bring peanut butter and jelly/honey/nutella sandwiches... that's gotta be American!

1 comment:

No Heroes Here said...

you could just pray for an hour and a half and smile and nod. worked for me :)
good to hear how things are going... you totally rock at blogging...
-Kenny