Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Sense and Sensibility

Concerning the last post, I seethed for about an hour, then found Sharon, an Indian-Canadian friend. Together we concluded that the statement that my salad wasn't American enough was actually based in unintentional ignorance and stereotypes.

(I'd like to point out the the man who said that has actually helped me a lot and welcomed me into the family, so I try not to hold it against him... however, the fact that he wasn't at the meal, and thus that he got the information from another suspected source irritates me since I had forgotten that in a country where I am new and don't speak the language, that people might talk about me behind my back...)

These people won't be satisfied until I've brought them something that they think is American (hamburgers, hot dogs, peanut butter, grease and sugar) which will simply perpetuate their stereotype that all Americans are fat because we eat these things. See how my salad disappointed their mindset (how can Americans be fat if they eat salads like we eat?). Thus I can either be a people-pleaser, bringing food that they think is American, or I can bring food that I usually eat (that they eat too), disappointing them but hopefully demonstrating that indeed the USA is a melting-pot with food from all different cultures which can in fact be healthy. I can stress out or I can laugh at their disappointment with broken stereotypes... I think I'll bring fruit salad and a smile next Thursday... And eventually I'll have the French words to explain myself.

Blessing: We had a personal dinner party for 10 (apparently French rock out on dinner parties from a young age) last night and I cordinated a massive homemade Mac&Cheese with grilled hot dogs pieces, onions and peas which all worked. It's like God rubbing my back saying, "Relax, darling. Don't give up."

P.S. Thanks, Amie, for the french fry idea. I think at least two Frenchmen have pointedly asked me why Americans give credit to the French for those... it's rough representing our huge nation in France when I have little interest in food or politics, but does anyone care about the recent Broadway negotiations here? Nope.

No comments: