Thursday, January 24, 2008

I have more respect for Californians now.

I've arrived and moved in to grad school housing, a double apartment without a roommate which provides ample space. I'm on the first floor of an old building. Seriously, I think there's a quill holder in one of the desks... The kitchen is the size of a normal closet but it's cute with a lot of shelf space that's out of my reach above my head. After a long drive yesterday and unpacking the car, I thoroughly scrubbed down everything so at least I know there aren't any germs or dust in that space.

My only complaint is that my bed is over the boiler. It's like sleeping on a fault line, complete with rumbling and vibrations that shake the computer and dishes. Weird, right? Weirder still is that it isn't consistent. Just past midnight last night, I timed the quake. There's only a minute of peace before it starts up again. You might advise, "Well just move your bed, Heather." It's not much better in the other room either. It's quiet in the hallway. Maybe I could just pitch a tent out there and sleep on the floor...

Orientation starts this afternoon. I'm pretty excited, anxious excited that will become more healthy when I remember to eat after finishing all the errands including setting up Internet in my room and getting a part-time job.

Here are two interesting points that have already hit me today:
"Paul served a Person, not a cause." -My Utmost for His Highest
What would you do for your sister? Why don't we treat our Christian family members the same way? What would that look like as we encounter the needy world-wide? -K. Hiser

There you go. Hope you have a good day. Here's a shout-out to the Sextons from Madison, NJ, seven hours closer to where you live!

2 comments:

The Sexton Crew said...

Am I to assume that this "shout-out" is in place of the postcards that we requested? Like the ones from Europe that we never got? ;-)

Not to worry, we will take our Cammie doses in whatever form they come!

Go "orient" yourself. =) We love you!

Heather said...

Haha! Oh dear. And I slump away with my tail between my legs... In defense, I do still have those postcards for your family!

Love and miss you too!!