For those of you who know one of my favorite topics of conversation, you'll appreciate the value of this situation.
Last summer, Ree suggested I stop in Africa on my way home from France next summer. I actually had an offer. There's a family who began attending our church this past year from Nairobi, Kenya. The father offered to connect me with church family members who could host me and that I would be welcome to stay for months. Needless to say, I came home and didn't contact the Kenyan family while I was in France because I was embarrassed to discuss the challenges of assimilating into another culture when they had done so well... Tonight I learned more about the family.
The father began attending Asbury in 1999 and his family followed a year later. After two years, the family moved to Ohio and then here to New Hampshire where the father is a chaplain at the local hospital. The oldest son and I are now becoming friends. It's a strange dream come true to discuss with an young African what he has seen concerning AIDS in Africa and his opinion about the best way to help. Jonathan suggests that other countries should help, not out of obligation but because it is the right thing to do. He also thinks that health care education and providing employment for Africans in their homeland are the best ways to aid them. Gotta love a friend who recommends books. Ben Carson's Gifted Hands and Nelson Mandela's autobiography are now on my required reading. :-)
Also, passing along a prayer request: The mass murders in Nairobi seem a lot more personal when it affects the family of a friend. As far as they know, Jonathan's relatives are safe but specifically the church burning is scary for them as a pastor's family. Here's the story: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/07/world/africa/07kenya.html?_r=1&oref=slogin If you want a comparison, consider this being a reaction to the Bush-Gore miscount in Florida three years ago. Initially the polls said the previous president was to remain in power, but Gore wanted a recount. Imagine if Bush were immediately sworn in, refusing to check the numbers. Killing the opponent's supporters was the reaction to this situation in Kenya. Of course, differences include the fact that instead of just being supporters, these Kenyans are related to their president via ethnicity in a tribe. Their connection to the leaders may be different, but the fear and pain of death is the same. Jonathan's hoping someone will help lead the countries leaders to peace via negotiations soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment