Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!

My mom, sister, brother and I arrived safely in Meadville, PA yesterday afternoon. Our first stop was to check in on Gramps. What a blessing to shake his hand, see him smile and hear him talk when I had been afraid he would die while I was in France. I hope he isn't lonely in the nursing home while he knows the rest of us are gathering at the house. Fingers crossed that he can join us sometime today.

I got out just in time from the French perspective too. After six days of strikes, I flew out of Paris right before a total strike on Tuesday. Also, then on Wednesday morning, vandals burned cables under the trains running to and from Paris. What an awful mess Paris is right now. Not like a war zone, but economically, all this is going to hurt.

Also worth noting, had I stayed in Grenoble, tonight I would be giving a 15-minute speech about how I made the decision to come to France with a question and answer session afterwards. Another thanks on my list, not having to do that in French...

No comments: