Thursday, November 22, 2007

Praise God

Since last May, Gramps has been hinting that he might die before Thanksgiving when my mom's side of the family usually gathers each year for a reunion. Before going to France, I apologized to him saying, "I'm sorry I won't be able to make it for Thanksgiving." He replied, "I might not be there either..." making me nervous.

And the past six months haven't been a joy ride for the family as we've had about four close calls, thinking that Gramps would die within the day. The last time was last week when I decided to come home to join the family at the funeral and to take care of Grandma for a while.

But praise God, he's made it to Thanksgiving!! This morning, Mom, Uncle John and Uncle Chuck and I went over to visit Gramps. He said he wants to come home today and the nurse said we could sign him out for a few hours. Logistically, we have to figure out how to bundle him up sufficiently for the dropping temperatures and time his visit before the rain turns into the expected 5 inches of snow. Praise God, Gramps is alive for another Thanksgiving (although a year ago, we would have never imagined his health would become this bad)!

Sidenote: Dad's dad, Bill Parrish, died 17 years ago tomorrow, the day after Thanksgiving also on Nov. 23rd like this year. Should Gramps decide to die tomorrow after the holiday, it will become Grandfathers' Day for my immediate family. Our grandfathers are much beloved.

No comments: