Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Happy to be Home

This lady is pretty happy to be home.

Gramps is still hanging in here. He's mentally astute and we make each other laugh. He had a good point last night, that pastors and doctors need to reconsider their actions and beliefs concerning death. If we believe that we will go to heaven after we die, then Gramps questions, "Why do they always try to keep everyone alive?"

I was offered a full scholarship for theo school this spring. Whew! I was afraid I lost it because I had deferred the acceptance. Pastor John Spahr had an amazing sermon on Sunday which spoke to me confirming my recent internal conviction that leaders who teach according to Jesus' example will not only encourage radical transformation but be transformed themselves. "I am not here to endear myself to you by speaking words that make you comfortable. We're all going to feel uncomfortable..." Thus at the end of January, I'm off to NJ for the next three years.

Thanksgiving with the family was good and everyone returned safely to their New England homes. I was thrilled to see Tricia, Kenny and Amanda this weekend. Unfortunately, as Tricia, Kenny and I realized, there isn't much to do in this small college town. Luckily, we can always enjoy good conversation over a meal (thank you, France, for teaching me how to host a meal). I'm also happy to regain contact with HOPE staffers, Jville friends and Drewids via the telephone.

Admittedly, I'm enthralled by the television. I'm not sure if it's because I only have access to a tv when I visit Mom or Grandma or whether it's because I can understand what people are saying. Perhaps it's a bit of both. I've been catching myself pausing often with the French, "ahhhh," even though I'm speaking in English. Sometimes I'm still trying to mentally piece my sentences together before allowing them to escape my mouth. I probably also speak slower since I'm used to talking with people who have English as their second language. C'est la vie. That's life.

No comments: