Thursday, November 1, 2007

Still here...

Happy "Toussaint" Day!

Today I joined the rest of France wandering through the local cemeteries. Hoping to find dates that proceeded the American revolution, I was disappointed that the earliest I found in two cemeteries was 1860. Surrounded by many wanderers carrying potted plants and water canisters, I was surprised how many bouquets were placed on the graves. First of all, from what I understand a family would usually buy a two width plot of land and dig deep so that many relatives could rest there. In these city cemeteries, height/depth is the solution to limited land, just like the building architecture. Today, families covered the plots with potted plants, sometimes as many as 10 or 12 various plants. It almost seemed like a popularity contest, "Which grave could have the most flowers." But the effect is a beautiful cemetery while family members have the opportunity to remember. It's difficult, though, not to wonder about what type of legend I will leave behind. Simply a name, two dates and an age? Or an enlarged family of beloved believers? I hope I can encourage people to grow closer to God because really we're all just like temporary midsts in the air.

Went to my first club in Grenoble last night. Halloween probably wasn't the best night for me to decide to go out because the decor of the club was very much distasteful. The introverted country girl came out full force in me as soon as I breathed the dry, stale, warm air and we stayed longer than I wanted to, but I did have a little fun meeting another American and at least the people spoke English.

Well, the inevidable topic of conversation has been avoided for a few days. Let's just say that I don't have a flight home yet, and that I might just go from law-abiding citizen to illegal alien to French student by Tuesday... Who knows? (this whole debate has had some fantastic quotes that I will post once I'm in the clear). But in the meantime, I'll be off at another retreat for the weekend. This time, I understand I can be a participant rather than leader which is reassuring. It's good to know what is expected.

No comments: