Completely aware of the inappropriateness of me sightseeing as my gramps dies across the ocean, I'm going to try to lightheartedly describe the ways I've been trying to distract myself.
On Saturday, Nannan and I had a great time at the Musée de Grenoble. We enjoyed the impression exhibit and took turns taking artistic photos of each other in front of various pieces of art. Wish I could post them here, but I can't figure out how to email them from Nannan's Chinese computer. Funniest moment: Walking down a ramp to the ancient art exhibit, we arrive at a large stone sculpture of a torso. Nannan promply replies, "Just rocks!" and flicks it with her finger, "Ouch!". Luckily no alarms went off! As she wandered into the next room, I stood before the torso, shocked that she had just hit a sculpture from 1310 BC (!). When I collected myself, I went over to Nannan and told her what she had just done, "You just hit a sculpture from 1310 years before Christ was born 2007 years ago, which means it's more than 3000 years old!" Her eyes widened. When we walked past the sculpture on our way up the ramp, I heard Nannan saying quietly, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you." ;-)
Yesterday, I began gathering Christmas presents for my immediate family. I'd share more details, but Mom and Dad will read it...
Then Californian Sharon and I went to the Bastille in Grenoble. A fort on a nearby mountain that I look at every day as I walk through the streets. We hiked up on stone stairs and through tunnels that are from the 13th century to a beautiful view of the city. Took lots of photos that will be posted eventually, probably after I am back in NH in a few weeks.
Then we took the telepherique down the descent. 
The first online article that I ever read after searching "Grenoble, France" was of one of these ball crashing and killing people. Was I ever nervous to get onboard. But at 3,30 euros (three euros, thirty cents) and the opportunity for a good story, I mean experience, I did it. Not so bravely, as I ended up scaring 18 year old Sharon and we clung to each other within the first ball waiting to go downward and unsure of the expected speed. But it went well, thank God. We survived and I think the couple from Iowa in the ball behind us got some good photos of two very scared girls inside a circle of glass. :-)
Mom will be glad to know I've started packing already. Not procrastinating for this move. The plan for me is to take a train to Paris this weekend, hopefully stay with Torgeir and visit the Louvre and Notre Dame before flying to Boston via Dublin on Monday. Mom will pick me up Monday night, we'll meet Katie and Jamie on Tuesday and start the 12 hour drive to Meadville, PA to join the rest of the family for the expected funeral. As the only family member not working full-time nor studying, I'm the chosen one to be Grandma's companion for a while. I'm happy with that since we're close. Strange iternary for the next week, non?
No comments:
Post a Comment