I've heard that when you return to your native country, you again can face culture shock. I thought that the lower ceilings I'm used to in the US might be a surprise after France's wide open head spaces in most room including bathrooms. Nope. TV in English is presently intriguing (and perhaps helping me regain a wide English vocabulary) and the second big culture shock occured yesterday in the grocery store. Not because the store is asthetically pleasing or because there are endless choices, both of which differ in France where the larger grocery stores look like warehouses which still only offer three types of butter. It was the candy bars.
Did you know that a HERSHEY'S chocolate bar costs 30 cents at Walmart? That's equivalent to 14 euro cents!
How about Reese's peanutbutter cups? 48 cents which equals roughly 22 euro cents. In France's Monoprix, all the chocolate bars cost about between 1.50 and 3 euros. I must have looked like a fool standing before the candy bar stand with my eyes wide in amazement and my jaw dropped... then again, maybe that's not so abnormal for women to stand like that before the chocolate. ;-)
How about Reese's peanutbutter cups? 48 cents which equals roughly 22 euro cents. In France's Monoprix, all the chocolate bars cost about between 1.50 and 3 euros. I must have looked like a fool standing before the candy bar stand with my eyes wide in amazement and my jaw dropped... then again, maybe that's not so abnormal for women to stand like that before the chocolate. ;-)
2 comments:
Don't just stand there with your mouth agape -eat it for heaven's sake. =) At that price -eat two. I have a weakness for Hershey's -in case it's not obvious.
Love you!
Amie
:-) I can't believe I even hesitated! ... at camp, we usually have a couple Hershey's left after s'mores, thus I highly recommend our experimented chocolate with orange pieces, with raspberries, and grilled with peanut butter between two pieces of toast (that was three different suggestions, not one huge conglomeration)...
Post a Comment